Friday, February 14, 2014

The foot of snow from the past couple of days looks so much cheerier with the sun out. Instead of endless grey, color is back...on the brick walls, the evergreen ivy and pine trees, the blue sky. Hallelujah! Now I can go into the studio and work on the horses I've been working on without feeling closed in and troubled by the howling winds of yesterday. Here's another of my favorite artist, Elmer Bischoff. This one evokes the grey sky of yesterday, but there is still something to look forward to here. The colors of the rooftops, the bay, and yet it is a mournful painting.
What I love about this painting are the simple (seeming!) shapes and colors and how they remind me of my childhood in California. The subtle colors...the sometimes stormy sky. Yet even though, with the green trees popping up through the rooftops, it reminds of my home now on the east coast. Double melancholy!

No comments: